Richard Y. Johnson Company was formed in 1946 and devoted the first few years to building fine custom houses, offices, and small commercial shopping areas.
In 1964, the firm moved into heavier commercial and industrial projects. The name was changed to Richard Y. Johnson & Son, Inc. to reflect that Richard M. Johnson had joined the firm. In 1971, Richard M. Johnson became the Chief Executive Officer of the firm. At that time, the movement was made toward commercial, industrial, government and education sector projects.
The concept of Construction Management Services was added in 1978. The first Construction Management projects were completed at the end of 1978. In 1980, the firm received its first Construction Manager Contract for a major construction project, the Richardson and Robbins Facility in Dover, Delaware. The existing facility was converted from industrial usage to offices for The Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control. The construction cost was in excess of $14 million dollars. The project was completed on time and under budget.
In 1991, we renovated the Tatnall Building in Dover for the Governor's Office. The firm has constructed educational, financial, laboratory, government buildings and office buildings throughout lower Delaware.
Richard Y. Johnson & Son, Inc. has handled some of the most prestigious Construction Management projects in the lower Delaware region, such as the thirteen million dollar renovation and addition to Legislative Hall in the Capital Complex in Dover. This project consisted of working not only with the prime contractors, but also interacting closely with the legislature. This project required detailed phasing due to the need for the building to remain open during renovations. It was completed in 1995.
We have been Construction Managers for various projects including the new 36,000 square foot Boys and Girls Club facility in Seaford, Milford High School Renovations, Star Hill Elementary School Renovations, Caesar Rodney High School Renovations, John S. Charlton/Frear School Renovations in Camden, and the new Epworth United Methodist Church in Rehoboth Beach. We are currently the Construction Manager for, the Allen Frear Elementary School, the WB Simpson Elementary School, Dagsboro Volunteer Fire Department, Ellendale Volunteer Fire Departmentthe and the Hertrich Collision Center. We are extremely proud of our reputation for completing projects on time, within budget, and the quality of construction achieved.
Richard Y. Johnson and Son, Inc. has been solely located in Lincoln, Delaware since its founding in 1946. There are no branch offices.